Monday, April 18, 2011

4th tooth lost for Joshua!!

Joshua lost his first top tooth this morning. He was sitting in the chair in the living room eating his typical breakfast of champions...pop tarts and OJ...and he tells me that his tooth hurts and he can't eat. I ask him if it is loose, and he says "Yes". I tell him to break the pop tart and chew with his back teeth and he tells me that it doesn't hurt anymore. A minute later, the tooth is out! Talk about fast. I don't remember my teeth coming out so fast after announcing that it is loose. I remember them lingering in my mouth, torturing me with that wiggly feeling, but not loose enough to pull without pain. I remember my dad teasing me that he could tie a string to my tooth and attach it to the door knob and then shut the door. What kind of medieval torture device is that??? I declined quite adamantly every time! Anyway, his tooth is gone! This afternoon, he asks me if the tooth fairy is real? I was one the phone with Doug at the time and asked Doug what I should say? I go on to say to him "Why do you ask that?" He says, "Well, fairies aren't real..." He wanted me to be straight with him and tell him yes or no. I didn't know what to say. I wasn't quite ready for the end of the era of magical beings so I skirted around the subject. I told him that he should put out his tooth fairy pillow and see what happens because he may not get any money if he doesn't put the pillow out. He also asked me if mommy was the tooth fairy. I skirted around that as well! I wonder if one of his classmates said something to him at school today. I have a feeling that is what happened. Not that I want my children believing in make believe things, but it seems like such a transition from childhood to the reality of life...I guess that that is good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment